Train to my Gramma's

I had a delightful train ride over to visit my Grandparents. I really enjoy seeing them, even though they're not particularly fond of my choice of career. Oh well. It was my Grandma's 75th birthday and her church was having a potluck. I'm happy to report my chocolates safely made the trip there, no melting at all!

The train over was nice, it was a little confusing though since I'd never been on a train before. Turns out that the train pulls up, you hop on, grab a seat, and the conductor comes through to check your ticket/give you a seat marker. It was fairly crowded on the way over and I shared a seat duo with a sleeping guy. I got to see lots of cool scenery and it was CHEAPER THAN DRIVING - especially good since gas is just insane.

When I got to grandma's I got a yummy grilled cheese. Then I chatted with my grandma and helped make dinner. I really like the food she makes. Each day they eat something different and that just blows my mind. It's awesome! My mom has always cooked food en mass, so it's 1 dish for 5 days. Having something new each nice is pretty special I think.

The next day we had a great time gardening. I helped put in petunias (I hope they're doing alright) and some garden plants. She has a famous garden full of yummy things to eat come later in the summer. I hope I can garden like her someday.

I really enjoyed the pace we worked at. Mom is always doing work at a manic speed. Grandma takes time to appreciate stuff, grab a bite to eat, get out of the sun and read a book. It was one of the nicest days I've had so far. Then after dinner (special hot dogs just for me, since I dont' get to eat them at home) we went over pictures from their trip south.

The next day was Church and the potluck. I think my Grandparents enjoy taking me to church. I like it too, even though I may not subscribe to all their views. In any effect, "Peace be with you" is always a nice thing. Who couldn't use a bit more peace, eh?

The potluck was also yummy. My favorites were scalloped potatos and a strawberry salad. And the deviled eggs I made with Grandma the day before. I tried every dessert there, of course! During the potluck, they had posters up of each person who turned 75. They also read a life story of each of them.

I found it very interesting. That could be me in 52 years. I hope I do something cool between now and then!

When we got home and rested, I helped my Grandma more in the kitchen - making a cake for a relative's birthday. I asked her: if she had the chance to re-live a year of her life, which one would it be?

She said it would be a year right after she married Grandpa. They decided not to have kids right away, to just take time to get to know eachother. She said they had a lot of fun enjoyed those years very much. I thought that was neat.

After my nice long weekend I headed back home via train. This time it was much less crowded, I got my own seat. Leather seat, mind you. Since I understood the train routine this time (and also had seen the scenery already) I roamed around the train. I found the dining car and ordered an OK lasange. It was just ok, but since it was on a train it was cool. I walked through all the cars, took lots of pictures, and enjoyed the trip. Trains and grandparents get a thumbs up.

 

0 comments: