Observations

Last night I went to the store around 9pm to get some groceries. It's freaking cold here and it was around 25 degrees F outside.

I'm in line and the guy behind me is buying boxes of Popsicles. I make my purchase, head out to the car (I'm wearing cleats on my boots to keep from falling in parking lot ice) and start the engine.

Out comes the guy, walking out in front of cars, immersed in the task of opening his boxes of Popsicles. It's 25 degrees and they guy wants a Popsicle. Weird, weird, weird.

-

Today I go into work and it hits me: working in a kitchen is a lot like working in a clinic. It's fast paced, crowded, noisy, you go home smelling like work and you're on your feet all the time. The major difference is that the kitchen smells much better and you don't have to euthanize anything. It's also nice not to have people sobbing about their dog just dying. And if you're lucky you go home with free cookies.

For example: today I was making 300+ cookies, working with dough, setting it in the oven, listening to my timer, dodging the washers, moving out of the way so people can grab equipment, keeping in mind which pans were hot, listening to 2 kids of annoying music at the same time, and prepping my next dish.

At the clinic I'm: nexting the room, then debriefing the doctor, restraining the animal while listening to instructions, remembering which items I need to stock, moving out of the way so people can grab equipment, and attempting to answer the phone.

I think working in the kitchen will help me adapt to pressure/fast paced environments. At least I hope so! I can see how it might be overwhelming for people who haven't' been exposed to that sort of thing. And if not, at least I get some free cookies.

 

0 comments: