Who the hell can afford saffron?

I am currently eating dinner. I have a sumptuous meal of phad thai noodles (from a package) in front of me. Price: $4.35. Not the best in the world but it's warm, I'm hungry: a great combo.

I'm also looking at a cookbook I picked up from the library yesterday. It is called "Rice: from Risotto to Sushi". It lured me in with nice colorful photos. It is luring me out with it's ridiculous ingredient list.

Seriously, how can like 50% of these recipes call for saffron and expect people to cook this stuff? Saffron is only the most expensive spice in the world and I sure as crap don't have any. In fact, a quick google search reveals that one ounce of the threads will cost a mere $1,701. Too much? Then you can get a whopping 3 grams for $30.

The author, Clare Ferguson, has an "international reputation as a writer and radio and television personality on food and cooking." She is also very far removed from reality.

Say I want to make spicy seeded pilaf. That sounds good, right? MMM, just look at that great picture: brilliant yellow rice juxtaposed with green veggies and tiny little poppy seeds. Well I should gather my ingredients.

I only need *19 freaking ingredients*. I have five of the ingredients in my house - which I consider well stocked for a normal person. It serves four and will probably cost well over $40 to make. Not to mention it asks for asafoetida. What the hell is asafoetida? As I type, it looks like I've just mashed my face on the keyboard.

Clare Ferguson: kiss my ass. Or share your damn saffron.

 

0 comments: