Uncomfortably Dry. And a 2 headed calf.

It is really dry here. As in: low relative humidity. My skin is dry, my hair is static, I get zapped all the time, and even my mouth feels dry. Looking further into the matter according to weather.com the humidity here is 38% and back home it's 65%. I want my 27% back.

Then when you bring the air into a building to heat it, the humidity drops even more.

So during break today I trekked over to the green house which is moist, above 70 and reminds me slightly of Hawaii. I love plants, it was great to be in there. My undergrad was in Horticulture/Environmental Science so plants are some of my favorite things. I have 6 good sized potted plants in my little trailer. It's just so good to be around things that grow. And of course, I love being around animals. I suppose I'm kind of an earthy person like that.

I got to look at their collection in the GH and got to really appreciate our collection back home. Wow, my old school sure had a bigger collection! But I did see a few of my favorites and that was a good feeling - you see the same species and it's like greeting an old friend. Ah Mimosa, there you are! How are you? They also had a very cute african Salix that I don't remember seeing before. Yes, I know Latin names. I will bore you to death if you take a walk with me on the west side with all our native plants.

School is well enough. I'm still antsy for my score. I'm having a difficult time processing the new info on the heart-- I'm not sure if that's because my brain is broken from the previous exams or if the material is just a bit more confusing. Either way, others are finding it more trying as well.

Tomorrow one of our lectures canceled so we get off blissfully early.

Oh yes, the 2 headed calf. We got to see one (well the conjoined heads of it) today in anatomy. Just the heads, mind you. The cow was no longer alive and we were presented with a Halloween themed treat - a double headed cow head. From embryology, I can tell you the double head formation is caused by imcomplete closing of the neural tube or something or other. Actually, I really dislike embryology. But it's along those lines.

I'm going to make some barley water now -- in Chinese medicine it is "cooling" and I'm hoping it will help me adjust to this weather.

 

0 comments: