Gettin' surgical

Today was a nice day at work. I was officially filling in for someone else so I had to get there early. The morning was hectic, as Tuesday mornings tend to be. We had a dental with some resorptive lesions. Poor little guy, those are fairly painful.

During lunch I went to the used store and got a nice used angel food cake pan, a used steamer set, a flower sifter from Wal*mart, and yellow cake mix + cupcake paper cups from the cheap-o mart. I could have gotten 1 regular priced baking pan or all that cool cheap stuff.

Anyhoo, after lunch we had an ACL surgery. After we got the epidural in (wicked long needle!) I got to help shave and prep the surgical site. Which was pretty cool since I don't usually get to do that! Then I got even cooler and promoted myself to surgical assistant since other people were busy.

I was able to help set up surgery, open packs, help gown up the doctor and do some monitoring of anesthesia. You know how the doctor is like "10 blade...Ok, now I'll need a large gelpie...how about some 3-0 PDS." I was the one getting all that stuff. First I felt pretty dang smart because I knew what all of that stuff was and where it was kept in the OR. And then....

I got to SCRUB IN!! : D Which pretty much made my day. The meniscus was compressed and so we levered the joint open to get a better look. That was my job. Holding a wicked looking instrument to keep the joint open so the doctor could get a better view. It was awesome.

Now you may be saying "Wow. That's lame." Or perhaps you may be saying "I have no idea what's going on. This blog is stupid." Let me simplify it for you: I probably won't get to do anything like that in vet school.

In vet school there are older students (3/4 years that get priority), interns and residents who all want a piece of the surgical action. If a cruciate was being done at school I wouldn't have a chance to actually assist. So it was cool indeed.

Later in the day I ran into one of my favorite client/owners. The sweet dog has kennel cough and is getting better! I'm glad, such a nice owner and dog.

At home (I had a 9.5 hr day) I took nice hot shower, took a walk around the sunny block, and had a great baked potato. Then I made a strawberry pie. I want to try strawberry bread too. You can tell we got a flat of strawberries. I also made a crust free fruit tart for my mom.

Wow, sure got a lot accomplished!

 

0 comments: